Longton, ENG - Postcode - PR4 5DF
Postcode PR4 5DF serves Longton in the Lancashire district of England. It is part of the PR4 outward code area. Use the map below for the exact location.
More postcodes in Lancashire | Browse PR4 area | All postcodes in Longton
Location Information
| City/Location/Ward | Longton |
|---|---|
| County/District/Region | Lancashire |
| States or Province or Territories | England |
| States or Province or Territories Abbrieviation | ENG |
| Postcode | PR4 5DF |
GPS Coordinate
| Item | Description |
|---|---|
| Latitude | 53.724 |
| Longitude | -2.7827 |
Nearby Postcodes
| Location | Postcode |
|---|---|
| Blackburn | BB1 1AB |
| Blackburn | BB1 1AE |
| Blackburn | BB1 1AF |
| Blackburn | BB1 1AQ |
| Blackburn | BB1 1BA |
| Blackburn | BB1 1BB |
| Blackburn | BB1 1BD |
| Blackburn | BB1 1BG |
| Blackburn | BB1 1BH |
| Blackburn | BB1 1BJ |
Browse All
Maps & Location
Longton is located in Lancashire
About Longton
Description of Longton, Lancashire
The settlement and civil parish of Longton are located in the western part of the South Ribble borough in Lancashire, England. Distance from Preston is roughly 4 miles to the south-west. There were 5,500 people living in the civil parish in the 2001 Census, with an increase to 7,652 people in the 2011 Census because the count included the village of New Longton.
History of Longton
Longton is an old settlement. After the original chapel, built in 1772 and located closer to the main road, was torn down to make way for the newer St. Andrew's, the parish church was finally finished in 1887. An older chapel existed here, but its history has been lost over time.
Although there is evidence of a chapel in Longton prior to the reformation in 1517, when William Walton endowed a chantry at the chapel, there is no evidence that it stood on or near the site of the present parish church. The earliest written reference to "Eafward Priest of Longton" dates back to 1153. No artifacts from the early chapel's dedication have been discovered at the present location.
Due to the monks of Penwortham Priory tending their holdings in the area, Longton had the reputation of being "a sort of Holy Land" during the Middle Ages. The monks very certainly built the first chapel on this site. The Shireburn Family of Stonyhurst received payments from several tenants throughout the Middle Ages, and many of the surviving papers relate to these rentals. A field called "Tirolkar" is mentioned in an ancient document, and its modern-day counterpart, "Hallcar," is remarkably similar to the one described in the document. From its inception in 1894 until its dissolution in 1974, the parish was a part of Preston Rural District. The parish was annexed by South Ribble in 1974.
The Longton Methodist Church is a Methodist place of worship, and the Catholic Church of St. Oswald may be found on Chapel Lane, both in addition to the Anglican St. Andrew's Church on Liverpool Road.
In 1807, a modest Wesleyan church was constructed on Marsh Lane, and it was expanded in 1833. A new chapel, designed in the Early English style, was constructed in 1872. In 1837, a large enough number of primitive Methodists had gathered to warrant the construction of a church on Chapel Lane; however, the movement eventually waned and the chapel was transformed into a housing development. Although a license to construct a Congregational Chapel was granted in 1821, the chapel was never constructed.
Canon Lennon, a prosperous priest in Liverpool, paid for the construction of the original chapel and school at St. Oswald's Catholic Church, which opened to the public on October 16, 1894. A new church was constructed in 1965 because to the dramatic growth in membership.
Previously used for manufacturing bricks, Longton Brickcroft is now a park and nature preserve. The South Ribble Borough Council designated the area as a Local Nature Reserve in 1998. Water now fills the ancient clay pits, making the area very appealing. You can go fishing in one of the water areas. Trees, bushes, and other vegetation have been allowed to flourish naturally in the areas surrounding the lake.
Seating and pathways make the Brickcroft easily accessible to most visitors; it is of special appeal to birdwatchers and botanists. A purpose-built visitor center provides interesting exhibits about the area's history, fauna, and natural surroundings. Disabled and family-friendly restrooms, parking, and a picnic space are all available.